Over the past few months, we’ve researched and visited different adoption agencies in the Portland metro area. It was a bit overwhelming. It’s a huge and important decision to make! The agency we choose will walk us through our adoption journey. Connect us with birthmothers and eventually our birthmother. Place us with our baby. Take us through difficult and challenging moments. And ultimately, through the most joyous one of our lives. They will be our partner through all of this, whatever our wait time may be. Some wait for 1-2 years, but we are hopeful and pray it’ll happen sooner for us! It’s possible that we won’t have to wait long at all! We know couples who entered the waiting pool and were matched and placed with their baby in 1-2 months! Regardless of how long we wait, we will rely, depend, hope, and trust in our agency. On top of all that, adoption costs a pretty penny! Having learned about adoption, we realize there is a reason for the agency fees. We personally feel much more at ease having experts handle the adoption and be a mediator/liaison/advocate not only for us, but for the birth mother and birth family as well. Everyone involved needs resources and support.
After a lot of prayers and conversations with God, and weighing our options, we finally settled on an agency. In the end, it wasn’t too tough of a decision! We felt very at peace and we just knew it was right for us. It was the same feeling we experienced when we decided we were going to adopt. He’s always there to guide you, you just have to allow yourself to listen. (And it may or may not be what you want to hear!) 😉
We made our decision on Thursday and quickly completed what needed to be done in order for us to be able to attend the adoptive parent training that Saturday in Seattle. It was a quick turnaround, but we really wanted to have information ahead of time rather than later. Their next training isn’t until May and we prefered having training on the front end, at the beginning of the process. We decided to go up and back in one day and that meant leaving around 5:30am. It was a little nervewracking because Waze, our GPS app, kept switching between “30+ minute delay” to “on time”… it would do that every 10-15 minutes. I finally turned it off and let Jesus take the wheel. 😉 We made it safely (and 30 minutes early, mind you) and I can’t even begin to tell you what an amazing experience it was. Robbie and I LOVED every moment. The seminar started with an adoption lawyer who talked about legal issues. And he was so funny! It was a great start to the day. Our favorite parts of the day were being able to hear from two birthmothers, and then later on, from a panel of adoptive families. They each had experiences that were unique and all their own and each touched on how God worked in their lives and guided their journeys. You could tell no one was forced to talk about His influence, it was just natural. It was so incredibly powerful and inspiring. There was an unintentional theme and lesson that we will continue to remind ourselves: keep your hearts open and trust in Him.
We left even more excited than when we came, and you guys, that’s saying a lot because we have been pretty excited!! It was a wonderful day and we felt, and knew, we were exactly where we are meant to be.
Next Steps for Us:
- Wait for and complete the Home Study Packet (biggest paperwork hurdle)
- Complete the rest of training
- Complete the renovations upstairs (paint and flooring) in the upstairs rooms prior to the home study visits
- Brainstorm ideas to raise money
- As always, pray, pray, pray and give all the glory to God.
How You Can Help:
- Pray for us and with us! Pray for continued guidance, grace, faith, and patience. Pray over the process and everyone involved. Pray for provision and that we meet our financial goals. Pray for our agency and case worker, all birthmothers involved, our future baby. Pray over our future birthmother’s health, heart, and healing. Pray for a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and for our future child.
- We need to paint our upstairs bedrooms and install flooring. If you can help or know someone who can, we’d be grateful!
- You can donate if you like! We almost need as much funding as we do prayers. 😉 (Kidding. Kind of! Haha! We tried to win the lottery like everyone else!) You can find our GoFundMe page at: GoFundMe.com/SchaeferAdoption.
We cannot thank you enough for your generosity! If you can’t invest in our adoption monetarily, all we can ask for are good thoughts and prayers. God provides and we will get to where we need to be!