We’re in the middle of renovating the flooring in the upstairs bedrooms and the timing could definitely be better! We anticipated we’d start the home study portion of our adoption in March, but we ended up being a month early in the process! This means that our caseworker is visiting our house smack dab in the middle of ripping up floors. She is very understanding and said she could push the home study inspection (thorough walk through of the house) till the last visit. We’ll still have visits 1 and 2 as planned. The second visit will be tomorrow!
We started with the master bedroom and gave the room and ceiling a fresh coat of paint. (Same creamy white color as our family room and kitchen.) That alone was such a fresh change! Our room wasn’t even that dark before, but the new paint made it clean and bright. The original carpet was in poor shape and pretty worn and dirty; it definitely needed to be replaced. There was a carpet allowance noted in the for sale listing so we knew we’d have to tear it out. But, we had to prioritize our home projects when we moved in; we couldn’t do everything at once. It was overdue and the old carpet needed to come out. The upcoming home visits are the push we needed to finish the job.
We have some very gracious friends, Jason and Jordan, and Jason offered to help to get us started on the flooring. He even came back to help around one of the tricky parts around the master bedroom door. Thank you so much, Jason!
The trim still needs to be installed, but the majority of the hard work is done and the master bedroom is nearly complete. On to the next room–the nursery! I can’t tell you how happy that makes my heart to say those words. 🙂
The before and during photos:
The original carpet was worn and dirty. This photo doesn’t capture it fully, but it needed to be replaced.